Photos by House of Stills
Do you ever want to impress your guests with a decadent dessert, but don’t feel like investing the time that it usually takes to put together a gourmet decadent dessert? Ya… me neither… Enter: Mascarpone Pudding.
This recipe was honestly created because I needed to use a tub of mascarpone cheese that I had in my fridge and that was about to go bad. I also just so happened to have people coming over and no dessert planned. I wanted to make use of the rich creaminess of the mascarpone to try my hand at something different. And let me tell you, I was not disappointed with the outcome… And neither were my guests, for that matter. The “oohs” and “ahs” I heard while they were devouring their individual portions convinced me that this recipe was a keeper.
It’s excellent year-round, and I find that when I make it over the holidays, adding an extra sprinkle of cinnamon, gives it a seasonal kick!
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 egg yolks whisked
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon plus extra for garnish
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese
- Using a small mixing bowl, whisk the sugar with the cornstarch until combined.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk with the sugar and cornstarch mix over medium heat, whisking until it comes to a simmer.
- When the milk starts to simmer, slowly pour it over the eggs and whisk constantly.
- Continue to whisk until all the milk is poured onto the eggs, then return the whole mixture to the saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until the mixture begins to boil (it will start to bubble from the center – 2-3 mins).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla, cinnamon and mascarpone cheese.
- Mix until entirely combined and the consistency is completely smooth.
- Place six small bowls or mini ramekins onto a tray or baking sheet with edges.
- Pour the pudding mixture evenly into the bowls or ramekins.
- Cover the tray with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool and somewhat set, at least 1 hour, but best overnight.
- Garnish with toppings of your choice (suggestions: fresh berries, freshly whipped cream).