Photos by House of Stills
The name of this dish explains it all. Sometimes coming up with side dishes that are different than the mundane go-tos is not super easy. This recipe gives you a way to take plain ol’ rice and kick it up a notch. Better yet, when you have leftover rice, this recipe brings it back to life.
This is Franco’s favourite side dish, which suits me just fine, based on how easy and quick it is to make! It quite literally goes with any meal from chicken breast, to steak, to fish and more. It seems like a no-brainer, but I promise that first bite will have you pleasantly surprised!
Quick Rice Side Dish
- 2 cups uncooked rice (I use basmati, but you can use whichever rice you prefer)
- 4 cups cooked, leftover rice IF USING LEFTOVER RICE
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red pepper chopped into small cubes
- 1 sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your rice according to package instructions (if your rice is already cooked, skip this step).
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add in the chopped pepper and onion, cook on medium heat until softened (make sure not to brown).
- Once softened, add in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add in the cooked rice and toss together until entirely combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.