Photos by House of Stills
One of my favourite appetizers of all time is the spinach dip and tortilla chips from Bâton Rouge. If you know, you know. Whenever I have a gathering where comfort food is the centre of attention (ahem, Superbowl or any other sporting event), this is the FIRST recipe on my to-do list. Not only is it super easy to make, but it’s a surefire crowd pleaser.
This recipe easily makes enough for two smaller containers, which makes dipping easier than if you were to bake it in a bigger vessel. If you happen to have a brie baker, it makes the perfect container to bake this in! If you’re using fresh spinach (note: you will need much more fresh spinach than frozen, since it shrivels up into almost nothing when boiled or steamed), you can freeze this recipe to have it readily available when you’re hosting a last-minute hockey playoff get-together. I always have one ready to go in my freezer!
You can always swap out the cheeses I suggest for those that you prefer, but I promise that this combination of cheeses is the one that, through all my recipe testing, has come up on top.
This serves nicely with either corn tortilla chips, or even some baguette bread, cut into bite-size pieces. Make sure you bake the dip enough (or until it’s golden and bubbling at the top), to ensure that the cheese is nicely melted to make it oozy and delicious when people dig in to dip!
Cheesy Spinach Dip
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 225 grams cream cheese one small container of Philadelphia
- 500 grams frozen spinach thawed and completely drained
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup Parmigiano cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chips or bread for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Bring the cream cheese to room temperature.
- In a large bowl mix together the cream cheese and sour cream until smooth and all lumps are dissolved.
- Add in the spinach, cheeses and seasonings.
- Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Transfer to a small baking dish and spread into a smooth, even layer.
- Bake for roughly 20-30 mins, until hot and melted and the top starts to bubble.
- Serve immediately.
- Can be made ahead and baked when needed – keep it in the fridge for up to two days.